Monday, August 16, 2010

Life's Irony

Okay, here is a bit of irony. Max has been on summer break for the past 3 weeks or so. Just before break started, we were perusing tv channels so that the kids could watch something (occupy their time) while I prepared dinner. I suggested the food channel and much to my surprise, both kids agreed I don't even remember what show was on, but they were hooked. Something about watching a host prepare a meal from start to finish, while discussing all the ingredients and the process was attention grabbing. The fact that my kids enjoy cooking shows, so much so that they will even choose it over a cartoon, isn't the ironic part, though.

The irony lies in the fact that my SON, who has been g-tube fed his entire life, is fascinated by all the recipes and insists on making his own dishes EVERY DAY! He will entertain himself for hours measuring out ingredients, mixing, blending, sauteeing, and basically copying whatever the chefs are doing through various episodes. His favourite......Rachel Ray.

I love it! Of course, there is a huge mess at the end of all this "cooking"; but the kids have so much fun, it's hard to say "no". Although, I do try to limit the ingredients to dry products, and I notice there is quite a bit of snacking that takes place between the two of them. Now, I just need to figure out how to get them to help with dinner every night.

No comments: